Members of the LSI's Diversity, Equity and Inclusion strategic planning committee include faculty, students, postdocs, research staff and administrative staff. The committee was formed in 2016 as part of a campuswide initiative to achieve new aspirations for diversity, equity and inclusion in Michigan's third century.
Share your thoughts with us at LSIdiversity@umich.edu.
Here are some of the institute's recent accomplishments and current efforts:
- Conducted the LSI’s first climate survey — and shared findings with community, conducted follow-up discussions and updated our DEI strategic plan
- Will require all faculty on hiring committee members attend a campuswide recruitment workshop — Strategies and Tactics for Recruiting to Improve Diversity and Excellence (STRIDE) — which provides hiring committees with practices that produce more diverse candidate pools
- Incorporating best practices for DEI into faculty searches — including establishing clear criteria for evaluation: research expertise, potential to be a leader, innovation, impact on a climate for success for all at the LSI — and have a holistic application review with science as the focus, rather than pedigree and personal connections
- Expanded outreach efforts to increase the diversity of LSI leadership board membership
- Expanded outreach efforts to ensure broader applicant pools for staff and faculty positions
- Conducted DEI training sessions for administrative staff and other groups on topics including the business case for diversity, disability awareness, bystander intervention training, and unconscious bias training for managers
Increased focus on inviting a greater diversity of speakers to the LSI
- Updated LSI Core Values statement to emphasize our commitment to creating a climate for success for everyone in our community
- Founded a new summer research program for high-school students from under-resourced communities across the state
- Redesigned the LSI website to meet ADA web accessibility standards