MSceen database for visualization of assay results
The CCG has links to CCMB for gene network analysis using bioinformatics tools to eliminate off-target hits.
Image-based High-Throughput Screening
Image-based HTS (using small molecule and siRNA screens. These assays can be performed in multiwell plates with kinetic or endpoint reads. Analysis of images is user-defined, automatic, and multi-parameter. NIH also provides an assay guidance manual for HCA (High Content Analysis).
Natural Products Library
The CCG Natural Product Extract (NPE) library comes from a collection of sediments, cyanobacteria, fungi, sponges and other novel organisms from all over the world. This library is screened as mixtures and once a hit is identified, the active fraction can be purified to obtain a sample for structural characterization.
Compound High-Throughput Screening (HTS)
- >160,000 small molecules (diversity sets)
- Kinase activity libraries
- Bioactive collections (clinically tested)
- Drug-like compound library
- 30,000 Natural Product Extracts (novel collection)
RNA interference High-Throughput Screening
- Dharmacon siGenome SMARTpool library:
- Human Genome siRNA set targets 18,200 genes, 68 source plates, 384-well format
- Druggable targets, Subset targets, 3520 genes, 96- or 384-well format
- Mouse Genome siRNA set targets 16,873 genes, 63 source plates, 384-well format
- Detection formats: 96-, 384- & 1536-well plates
- High-Content Screening:
- : Accuri/Hypercyt
- Three Multimode plate readers: Abs, FI, FP, Lum, FRET, BRET, ALPHA, TR-FRET, HTRF
Robotics, Liquid Handling, Compound Plates
- Multichannel plate handling robotics for compound and assay applications
- Bulk liquid handlers
- Multi-dispense/multichannel pipettors
- Custom compound plate formats for secondary screening, pilot assays and non-HTS uses
- Relational database of assays and compounds
- Screening and chemoinformatics support
- Structure similarity searches and links to public databases for chemical and biological profiling are available and free for CCG users.
- Support for secondary screening experiments, toxicology assessment & ADME
- Ca++ Flux, Ion Channel, Membrane Potential
- High-content automated image analysis on multiwell plate formats and slides Kinetic reads over hours or days
To request training on instruments, contact mjlarsen [at] umich.edu (Martha Larsen). In addition to providing small molecule libraries, the screening facility has the following equipment and resources available:
|Sciclone ALH3000 with a V&P pintool, delivery of 50-80 nl volumes; can be used with 1536-well plates; uses Twister plate hotel to deliver source plates.|
|Envision Multimode Plate Reader (Perkin Elmer), two detectors enabling simultaneous dual wavelength reading; enhanced luminescence; Alpha capabilities (AlphaScreen and AlphaLisa); Stackers for automatic plate reading; FP, FI, TR-FRET, Abs, BRET, HTRF; cross talk, calibration and normalization features; Kinetic reads.|
|Mosquito X1 (TTP Labtech), a hit-picking liquid handler with 96- and 384-well plate formats, 25-1200 nL positive displacement tips for confirmation, serial dilutions and reagent/sample transfers.|
MDS Analytical Technologies-ImageXpress Micro Cellular Imaging and Analysis System for automated acquisition and analysis of images for high throughput cell-based screening. Includes Acuity Xpress Informatics and MDCStore database. Several plate options (6-384-well) and slide mounts are available for high content analysis and screening.
|Biomek FX dual head (Beckman): A programmable robot, utilizing both disposable tips and HDR (pin tool) to rapidly transfer compounds from library stock plates to assay plates. 96 and 384-well plate capability.|
|Biomek FX (Beckman) 384-well nanoliter HDR (pin tool)|
|Hypercyt/Accuri : High Throughput Flow Cytometer combination system that does multiplex flow cytometry on 384-well plates (~ 10 min/plate). Used for both cell- and bead-based HTS.|
|Plate reader: PHERAstar (BMG Labs) with luminescence, fluorescence, fluorescence polarization, time-resolved fluorescence and absorbance detection methods with 96 and 384-well plate capability. Sample sizes from 5-200ul.|
- Luminescence (1 channel)
- Fluorescein/FITC (485/520)
- FP-Fluorescein/FITC (485/520A/520B)
- FP-TAMRA (540/590A/590B)
- AMC (350/450)
- AMC2 (370/480)
- TR-FRET (337/520/490)
- FP-Texas Red (575/620A/620B)
- Absorbance (450)
Other filter modules available request a list from mjlarsen [at] umich.edu (Martha Larsen).
|FlexStation3 (MD) plate reader that is capable of reading 5 assay formats for kinetic, endpoint, spectrum, well-scanning and “Flex.”.|
|Plate Handler: Twister (Caliper Life Sciences) microplate handler allows for automated integration of liquid dispensers, plate washers, and other HTS assay components during screening creating a stand alone module.|
Bio-Tek ELx405 plate washer/aspirator with 96 to 384-well capability.
Bio-Tek 406 plate washer/aspirator with 96-, 384 and 1536-well capability.
|Thermo Labsystems Multidrop plate dispensers with 96 and 384-well capability.|
Tissue culture facilities. Multichannel pipettors.
Updated August, 2013.